10 August 2010

Things I Miss From Childhood

The Ren and Stimpy ShowImage via Wikipedia
Now, at twenty-three years of age, I spend a lot of time with my four year old sister. This has made me pay a little more attention to what kids are watching these days. My god, I miss the nineties.I miss good television shows, like Rugrats - before they grew up, Doug, Hey Arnold!, Ren & Stimpy, Daria, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Guts, Legends of the Hidden Temple...oh, there were so many. I miss Sesamee Street - before everyone started speaking Spanish. I miss good vampires - Lestat de Lioncourt and Louis de Pointe du Lac. I miss kids who were able to play outside; seems like so many these days won't leave the electronic babysitters for longer than twenty minutes. Of course, that may be just my little sister. I miss playing outside. When I was in fifth grade, we discovered I was highly allergic to chigger bites, which put an end to my rolling in the grass. I miss kids being taught respect, being expected to return it and to obey their parents. I miss kids being encouraged to read instead of sitting in front of the electronic babysitter. I miss kids being taught basic facts - once, a fifth grader we were babysitting told us the capital of Texas, her home state as well as mine...was T...and that the capital of the United States was US. She didn't know the state flower of Texas. What are they teaching kids these days, really? What kind of students might I end up with?
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

lynette355 said...

I would think you would miss your own favorite Electronic Babysitter...since you was a fan of all the Disney movies. Oh and that you also would miss the boys that you blamed for anything going wrong...what a sweet angel you made us think you was......LOL

lynette355 said...

your things to ponder is so you

If a vampire can't see himself in a mirror, why is his hair always so neat?